Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dreamland or Nightmare, Can You Wake Up?

Do we live in a world of delusion or illusion?

Are we free to choose or only have an illusion of freedom not noticing the tight leash that becomes ever tighter. Do we immerse ourselves in the virtual computer worlds of New Life and Dungeons, creating dreamland empowered self-identities even as we fall into a real world of anonymous, faceless and unrecognized masks in ever growing crowds of mindless, soulless biological entities not far removed from the unrecognized mini-power units in the Matrix.

Can I, as did Neo, pull myself away, disconnect, unplug from the machine of modern society that teaches me just enough while enticing me with so much more – but only under the tight supervision of the machine.

Was Orwell right? Perhaps. And, perhaps he was only half right. The real thought police are not human. They are THE machine. The machine that draws its power from our soul, both giving us the delusion of freedom, but at the same time that small tinge of fear. The political correctness noose that grows tighter and tighter. It sounds so reasonable and polite, but becomes more and more confining and restrictive. Soon, my thoughts will no longer be my own, not because someone is listening to them, but because I won’t know how to think without the machine. And IT IS watching!

The government is corrupt, it is restricting my freedom, it is preventing me from living my life. These are common feelings these days. I need to protect my identity or someone might steal it. These are delusions. The computer knows your identity. You can’t hide from the net and the government is just as much a victim as I. No governments can rationally, effectively govern 7 billion free thinking intelligent individuals, never knowing from one moment to the next what they will do.

We have indeed created God. The question is, can we find liberation from it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, you are seeing the point my friend. We can liberate our self from a myth, that is easy. What shall be more difficult is tearing our self away from an addiction to fantasy land. That will be worse than trying to end a nicotine and heroine addiction combined.
What do the troglodites of the virtual sleeze world say, "Its only fantasy, how can anyone take it seriously?" Ah yes karma, and Larry Flint was made a quadroplegic.
As Socrates would tell them, "What causes harm to one shall return to harm you." As Kant would ask them, "What if everyone did this? Would you submit mother and sisters to this?" They do all this for "KA=CHING the bling bling bling" as Snoop Dogg so poetically put it.
Oh the sweet oblivion of the net virtual world, no real people to piss me off, hurt my feelings, or call me white and nerdy. I can please myself and learn things like the biggest ball of bubble gum is 50kg and is more than 1 meter in diameter, some fellow geek in Saipan made it in only 2 years.
Just think Mr. Shea, this is the future of the world. "Interesting Mr. Anderson, and when you were in the imagined life of yours you never turned a finger to end suffering because you couldn't move your ass out the chair and away from your frigging computer. Now you talk to me of maorals. Interesting Mr. Anderson, quite interesting." Agent Smith in "Thr Matrix"

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Shea, Dan told me about your site. Good stuff, I think we can liberate from God if a person comprises a system of how to do it. Right now everyone is in the self help stuff, and the problem with that is, most have no problem to begin with that are not self induced or imagined.
What are some your answers? I can't wait to read them. Have a great weekend. Woodward


Where is Augustine's "City on the Hill" and who lives there?
And perhaps more importantly: How do they live - with each other?

不知彼,不知己,每戰必殆 (孫子)

(If you don't know yourself and if you don't know your enemy,
then you are in for a world of hurt!)


γνῶθι σεαυτόν (Δελφοί)

“I couldn’t imagine this ... world.
Hell is so big and dark and heaven is so small." HJM

"the U.S. has a little manifest destiny over here,
and a little more manifest destiny over there..."

___________________________________________

How About a Bill of Responsibilities Rather Than A Bill of Rights

What if we chose the wrong religion?
Each week we'd just make God madder and madder.