Monday, September 14, 2009

Are You Really an Atheist?

My friend is very smart. He tells me there is no such thing as God so he is an atheist. I of course tell him he is not, where upon he bristles at my presumption (I am not as smart) and the animated conversation begins.

My friend explains (probably as one does to a child) that there is no proof and no way to scientifically prove the existence of God. Ergo, no God.

Now me, being slightly more pragmatic in my thinking (and not wanting to unduly upset anything I can't see and that CAN put my name on a meteor) says, now wait a minute. How can you say there is no God? Ra has been sitting in the sky since ... well, since forever. Ra being the ostentatious God he is, makes his presence quite obvious I say. You say you don't believe. Yet after some time under his beneficence you go in search of a glass of water. What's the deal?

It's like those philosophers you talk about who say nothing is real, then go off to get their paycheck.

Of course this goes on 'til I shut up and my friend concludes the superior intellect won. Too bad my friend doesn't remember Troy.

I'll be back ....

(like any fable, this story is full of metaphors and innuendos, the names have been changed to protect the guilty)
Personally, I think my friend is a closet tree worshipper and just afraid to admit it.


No comments:


Where is Augustine's "City on the Hill" and who lives there?
And perhaps more importantly: How do they live - with each other?

不知彼,不知己,每戰必殆 (孫子)

(If you don't know yourself and if you don't know your enemy,
then you are in for a world of hurt!)


γνῶθι σεαυτόν (Δελφοί)

“I couldn’t imagine this ... world.
Hell is so big and dark and heaven is so small." HJM

"the U.S. has a little manifest destiny over here,
and a little more manifest destiny over there..."

___________________________________________

How About a Bill of Responsibilities Rather Than A Bill of Rights

What if we chose the wrong religion?
Each week we'd just make God madder and madder.