Saturday, May 16, 2009

"I Understand"

The meaning of the phrase "I understand"

When your Japanese counterpart says, "I understand." he/she/it is probably telling you:

1. I grasp the concept and follow your train of thought. (-1%)
2. I understand the dictionary meaning of each word. (-5%)
3. If I ask a question you will think I'm a total idiot; let's move on so I can get a drink. (95%)

Choose which of the above is most appropriate to your situation.

Personally, when I use the phrase: "I understand" (interchangable with: "I see" & "interesting"), I usually mean:

1. I know what you're saying and I think you're nuts. (20%)
2. I know what you're saying and I couldn't care less. (30%)
3. I need a drink no matter what you are saying. (50%)


Thank you Salaryman for the idea.
.

No comments:


Where is Augustine's "City on the Hill" and who lives there?
And perhaps more importantly: How do they live - with each other?

不知彼,不知己,每戰必殆 (孫子)

(If you don't know yourself and if you don't know your enemy,
then you are in for a world of hurt!)


γνῶθι σεαυτόν (Δελφοί)

“I couldn’t imagine this ... world.
Hell is so big and dark and heaven is so small." HJM

"the U.S. has a little manifest destiny over here,
and a little more manifest destiny over there..."

___________________________________________

How About a Bill of Responsibilities Rather Than A Bill of Rights

What if we chose the wrong religion?
Each week we'd just make God madder and madder.