Friday, April 25, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss

"If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him" - Voltaire.

We need God as a dog needs its master, just a higher order of submission to a ruling power: the absolute monarchy, the state, the boss. Just look at the democrats crying (praying) for Howard Dean to save them and force the issue before the convention (death). We need a leader for our survival and sanity. “God” gives us an absolute, pure, good, perfect, in the sky (not in your face messing with everyday life), all powerful being who will save us from ourselves. What more could you ask for? Of course I need this God!

We have a god who will save me from my pain and suffering; give me riches and success – and only for the price of a petition of prayer. He won’t strike me when I screw up or throw me in jail – he is all forgiving and wants to save me. He gives a reason for the rich like Rockefeller, Carnegie and Gates to support the less fortunate rather than euthanize them. He gives us angels to inspire us to greatness of music and the arts and consider the plight of others and not just run them over on the road of life. He gives us a goal to live for, to be perfect and love my neighbor as myself.

Do you really want to give this opiate up for the reality of natural selection?

"I am who I am, and I'm me."

No comments:


Where is Augustine's "City on the Hill" and who lives there?
And perhaps more importantly: How do they live - with each other?

不知彼,不知己,每戰必殆 (孫子)

(If you don't know yourself and if you don't know your enemy,
then you are in for a world of hurt!)


γνῶθι σεαυτόν (Δελφοί)

“I couldn’t imagine this ... world.
Hell is so big and dark and heaven is so small." HJM

"the U.S. has a little manifest destiny over here,
and a little more manifest destiny over there..."

___________________________________________

How About a Bill of Responsibilities Rather Than A Bill of Rights

What if we chose the wrong religion?
Each week we'd just make God madder and madder.